Thursday, October 19, 2006

THROWING IRAQ AGAINST A WALL

Shorter Jonah Goldberg:
The Iraq war was a mistake, but many of the people who were against it were against it for reasons I don't consider appropriate. Therefore, I will continue as if I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Verbatim Jonah Goldberg, April 2002:
I've long been an admirer of, if not a full-fledged subscriber to, what I call the "Ledeen Doctrine." I'm not sure my friend Michael Ledeen will thank me for ascribing authorship to him and he may have only been semi-serious when he crafted it, but here is the bedrock tenet of the Ledeen Doctrine in more or less his own words: "Every ten years or so, the United States needs to pick up some small crappy little country and throw it against the wall, just to show the world we mean business."...

The United States needs to go to war with Iraq because it needs to go to war with someone in the region and Iraq makes the most sense.

The fact that Jonah was taking his cues on Middle East policy from Michael Ledeen, the stark-raving neoconservative nutjob's stark-raving neoconservative nutjob, is pretty much all you need to know. Does anyone else get the distinct feeling that these guys' entire national security posture can be ascribed to their being picked on as kids?

No comments: