Friday, October 15, 2004

WOW

I just watched Jon Stewart, in his way, lecture Begala/Carlson on their responsibilities at journalists. Try to catch the rerun later tonight, if possible, he really hands it to them.

I loved this:

STEWART: I would love to see a debate show.
BEGALA: We're 30 minutes in a 24-hour day where we have each side on, as best we can get them, and have them fight it out.
STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great. To do a debate would be great. But that's like saying pro wrestling is a show about athletic competition.
(LAUGHTER)
CARLSON: Jon, Jon, Jon, I'm sorry. I think you're a good comedian. I think your lectures are boring.
STEWART: Yes.
CARLSON: Let me ask you a question on the news.
STEWART: Now, this is theater. It's obvious. How old are you?
(CROSSTALK)
CARLSON: Thirty-five.
STEWART: And you wear a bow tie.


In a way, Stewart is the anti-O'Reilly. He's under no illusions, as O'Reilly is, that he's a serious journalist, yet Stewart's program does more to shed light on the absurdities and hypocrisies of modern politics than any other program on TV right now.

UPDATE
Apparently, CNN doesn't rerun Crossfire, but here's a link to the Stewart segment.

No comments: