Friday, May 27, 2005

ANOTHER USELESS LIST

Now here's something we can all get good and outraged about: Time Magazine's 100 Best Movies. I'm glad, if a little surprised to see Miller's Crossing there, that's my favorite Coen Brothers film but I think Barton Fink would seem a better choice for this project.

Then there's the one Woody Allen movie they chose: Purple Rose of Cairo. I like that movie, it's a good little movie, but it's second tier Woody. Though I personally rank Manhattan and Crimes and Misdemeanors as my favorites, including Annie Hall on this list really should have been a no-brainer.

Err, Kubrick's Barry Lyndon over Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, or The Shining? Okay.

Obviously, in a list like this some things are gonna get cut, but I feel these omissions are glaring: Seven Samurai; Gone With the Wind; The Graduate; Rififi; Blazing Saddles; Fletch. Okay, just kidding on that last one. But not really.

No comments: