Thursday, January 06, 2005

NOONAN!

Coming in a bit late, here's Peggy Noonan's requisite "here's how the Democrats can get serious (if they really want to!)" piece.

To steal a line from P.J. O'Rourke (indeed, the same line of his I always steal when writing about Noonan), pointing out Peg's silliness is about as "difficult as hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." But, just as hunting cows would be if they happened to regularly shit in my yard and moo outside my window all night, it's deeply gratifying.

I'm thinking really hard, but it's very difficult for me to come up with anyone whose advice I might value less than Holy Dolphin Girl's. Phoebe from Friends? Hmm, no, there's always the chance that Phoebe might say something pithy by mistake. Never so with Peg. Lassie? No, Lassie's at least good for letting one know when Timmy is trapped down a well. The best Peg could do would be to rationalize why Timmy likes it down there, and why his being there is a sign of God's providence, and how this proves once again that Ronald Reagan was the greatest human being ever, okay maybe not as great as Christ himself but certainly with more attractive feet. Mrs. Howell from Gilligan's Island? Okay. I'll go with that. I would value Lovey's advice less than I would Noonan's. But Lovey's gone. So it's Peg.

No comments: